Lucky Dog Matchmaking
Want a dog? But not sure which dog is right for you or your family?
Our Matchmaking Team can help!
Just like you, many other adopters we assist either fall into one of these categories:
1) Aren’t sure what dog is right for them.
2) Applied for a dog that was already adopted by someone else
3) Want a specific kind of dog that we don’t have available right now
4) Know they want to adopt a dog soon, but they’re not quite ready yet.
What is Our process?
First we get you "approved" to adopt. We work from the adoption application and discuss what kind of dog will fit your lifestyle. The approval process is the same for all adopters, whether they have a dog in mind or not.
1) Contact the matchmaking team at firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Phone or in-person interview
3) Landlord check (if you are renting)
4) Vet check (if you have past and/or current pets)
5) Home visit
Once you’re approved, we start matching you with available Lucky Dogs!
How long does this take?
Depending on the schedules of our volunteers, this process typically takes about a week. We try to work on the matchmaking during the approval process, but sometimes it can take longer to find the right dog, depending on how specific your dream dog is. For example, if you are looking for a 4-6 month old lab mix, we’ve got lots of those. If you are looking for a 1-2 year old toy poodle, it’ll take us longer to find a dog for you.
What can YOU do to speed up the process?
** The best thing you can do is to have an open mind. You may begin the process thinking that you want one thing, but as you work with your adoption coordinator, it may become evident that the perfect match is something entirely different!
** Try to attend adoption events as soon and as often as possible. We have events every weekend, either on Saturday or Sunday, and the locations rotate monthly. Please check our website for a full listing of adoption events – dates, times, places. We recommend arriving right at the start of the event – usually noon. This will ensure that you have the opportunity to meet all the dogs you are interested in before they either get adopted or their fosters have to leave.
** Monitor our website to see if any dogs pop up that you like. New dogs are posted daily, and although the matchmaking team tries to scan our own dogs, and our partner shelter’ dogs, as often as possible, we sometimes miss one! Plus, you know what you like better than we do!
* *Be patient!! The right dog will come along. Don’t compromise your desires for the sake of expedience. If you have your heart set on a breed, or age, don’t adopt a dog just because it’s there. Unless your request is extremely rare (and we can tell you), that breed or mix will come along if you give it time. The best thing to do is to get approved so you are ready to adopt when the right dog comes along!!
** Keep in contact with your Lucky Dog Matchmaker/Adoption Coordinator. If you see a dog on our site, feel free to send your application over to the contact listed on his or her bio. Just copy your Matchmaker on the email as well, so she can stay informed and so she can expedite that individual’s consideration of your application.